Will acupuncture for insomnia help my sleep?
Insomnia in Latin means: "not" "sleep." To us it means, and represents, when we are having difficulty falling and/or staying asleep. But did you know it can also represent a sleep that is non-restorative (un-restful)?
There are 4 Types of Insomnia:
- Transient Insomnia - disrupted sleep lasting from less than a week to more than 3 weeks. Typically associated with other factors such as: emotional upset (severe depression), stress, changes in your sleeping environment and unregulated time of sleep.
- Cyclical Insomnia - is when your sleep pattern is unstable and not balanced between when you are asleep and when you are awake. This imbalance can be temporary or last a lifetime. It can also occur as a result of:
- physiological shifts (ie. before your menstrual cycle - for the women)
- psychological shifts (ie. depression or mania)
- Acute Insomnia - when you cannot to sleep soundly consistently for just shy of a month.
- Chronic Insomnia - more severe than acute and transient, this is when you cannot sleep for months on end. It too, like transient insomnia, can be associated with other factors but it also can be a primary dysfunction. As a primary disorder, it evolves you staying in a "hyper-aroused" state (heightened alertness) when you are awake AND asleep. Some attribute chronic insomnia as the result of an issue with our circadian rhythm.
Just like (ooh) so many of the other health issues we can experience, Western Medicine treats this one with...drum roll please...Prescription MEDS! Yup, and I'm sure you have seen two of the most common ones, Lunesta and Ambien. And unfortunately just like all other prescription drugs, you are given a laundry list of how these drugs might cause undesirable side effects. Such side effects can include:
- drug dependency/tolerance
- memory loss
- sleep walking and sleep activity
On the flip side, acupuncture for insomnia is a relatively non-invasive approach that subdues your "over-stimulated" nervous system. By promoting the proper flow of qi and unblocking obstructions in your systems - you body is able to receive the oxygen-rich blood & vital energy it needs to function the way it should. A properly nourished system means a more relaxed you, and a more relaxed you means gaining optimal SLEEP.